Rules for Using Library Computers
-You must be a patron of the Benny Gambaiani Library to use computers
-Use of the computers is on a first-come, first-served basis, however reservations can be made.
- Use of the computer will be limited to 1 hour time slots. If no one is waiting to use the computer, you may continue using it for 1 more hour, not to exceed two hours per day.
- You may not use your own software programs on the library computers.
- You may save files to a personal storage device, but not to the library’s hard drive.
-There is a charge for printing. (see fines & fees chart in posted above printer)
- Misuse of the computers or Internet access will result in the loss of your computer privileges at the library. The length of the suspension is at the discretion of the library director.
-Library staff has the right to cancel or interrupt usage of the computers.
- Patrons may not make any attempt to alter or damage computer hardware or software. Abuse of the rules will result in loss of privileges. Library staff has the right to restrict or refuse use of library computers to people who cannot abide by the rules. Library users of the Internet should be aware of the following:
• Internet: The Internet is an unregulated global information resource. The Library cannot guarantee the accuracy and/or authenticity of information discovered through this resource. Patrons who find information or subject matter that is erroneous, out-of date, illegal, offensive, and/or controversial should contact the original producer or distributor of that work directly.
• Internet service: The Library provides high-speed Internet access but cannot guarantee uninterrupted service.
• Internet responsibility: The Library assumes no responsibility for a Library patron’s activities on the Internet.
• Internet access: The Library upholds and affirms the right of each individual to have access to constitutionally protected material. At the same time, the Library is a shared public space, and Library staff may ask a computer user to move to a different computer station if the text and/or graphics displayed on the computer screen are construed by Library staff as offensive to the general public. Library staff may ask a user to leave the computer station if the staff member observes behavior in conflict with this policy or the Library’s behavior policy. While respecting individual users’ right to privacy, the Library staff may monitor use of computer workstations to ensure compliance with this policy.
• Internet limitations for minor children: Only parents and legal guardians have the right -- and the responsibility -- to monitor their own minor children's access to Library resources, including the Internet. Library staff assumes that those under age 18 have parental permission to use Library resources, including the Internet, unless notified otherwise by the parent/guardian.
• Computer/device damage: The Library accepts no responsibility for damage to users’ computers or other devices or for the loss of any data that may occur from the use of the Library’s computers or Internet service.
• Computer assistance: Library staff members generally do not assist patrons with their computers or computer configurations.
• Lack of internet confidentiality: The Benny Gambaiani Shell Rock Library cannot guarantee confidentiality over the Internet. Patrons entering personal information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc.) do so at their own risk. The Library’s wireless network is open and not secure
• Copyrights: The Benny Gambaiani Shell Rock Library complies with the United States Copyright Law and all other federal, state, and local laws relating to the use of the Internet and other electronic media.